Benefits of Physical Activity
Balancing healthy eating habits with regular physical activity will make you feel healthier and more energetic throughout the day. Here are a couple of things that are good to know about staying active:
- Exercise can be done all at once or in different amounts of time throughout the day.
- You should always have the approval of a health care provider before starting a new exercise routine.
- You should start slowly and build–up to more and more activity. Trying too hard at the beginning increases your chances of an injury.
- Staying active for 30–minutes a day, three to five times a week will:
- Strengthen and improve muscular health
- Help manage your weight
- Reduce stress, anxiety, and depression
- Help you sleep better and improve breathing
- Prevent constipation and hemorrhoids
- Improve circulation, therefore preventing varicose veins and leg cramps
- Reduce back pain
- Lower blood pressure as well as risk of death from heart disease or stroke
- Reduce the likelihood of contracting heart disease, colon cancer and diabetes
- Keep bones and joints healthy
- Physical activity isn’t just about working out; it’s about doing every day things that keep you moving.
Check out the Physical Activity handout and discuss what kinds of activities the participant can begin doing today.
Explain how balancing nutrition with regular physical activity leads to overall health.
Key Concepts/Main Points
- A healthy lifestyle requires 30 minutes of physical activity most days.
- Doing every day things to remain physically active will improve your physical appearance and overall health.
- Develop actitives that the participant can do to become more physically active today.
Questions to Ask Yourself
- How often do you exercise?
- What types of activities do you do throughout the day?
- Has your health care provider ever encouraged you to start an exercise program? If so, what has he/she suggested?
Improve the participant’s awareness of the importance of daily physical activity so that she may develop a healthy, active lifestyle.